Friday, December 27, 2013

Blessed are the Poor in Spirit

“Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven." (Matthew 5:3 NIV)

The exact meaning of this verse is always been kind of a mystery to me. But tonight as I sit by the fire I started to do some digging. I took a look at several different commentaries to see what other people thought this might mean. While this is not the word of God, other people often have helpful insights. We are told throughout Scripture to obtain wise counsel, so while it is good to look at commentaries, we should be careful who we rely on. I looked at several, and they all basically said the same thing. 

The poor rely on other people to take care of their needs. When I say that, I am not demeaning who they are, I am simply stating a fact. Likewise, we are totally dependent on Jesus for our salvation. There is nothing that we can do to obtain it without His help. Spiritually speaking, we should be seeking his help all of the time. It is only when we realize that we cannot make ourselves right with God our own, that we can become poor in spirit. When we realize that we need help, and we seek out, we will find it. Only then can the kingdom of heaven be ours. Jesus said, 'I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the father except through me.' That doesn't leave a lot of wiggle room. 

It is very humbling to realize that you cannot make it on your own. Truthfully it is sort of depressing to know that it does not matter how hard you work, you will never make it. How badly do you want to be a part of the kingdom? Do you want it bad enough to rely completely on Jesus? It's really a silly question, because there is no other way. But it is an important question, because our answer determines our destiny. Can I lay my pride at the foot of the cross, and admit that I need what only Jesus can provide? If my answer is yes, then I will be counted among the poor in spirit. If I am counted among the poor in spirit, the kingdom of heaven will be mine.

Enjoy the Journey

No comments: